[wrtc2014] WRTC Category Weighting Factor

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 15:15:24 EDT 2012

This has been discussed for each WRTC since Finland and the consensus is
that HP single-op is more competitive than LP single-op.  Not more
challenging...more competitive.

For example, in the writeup for the 2012 ARRL DX Phone contest, I examined
the relative competitiveness in each category by calculating

Category Competitiveness = Average Top Ten Score / Top Score

W/VE Category         Competitive Index
Single-Op, All Band, High Power 0.80
Single-Op, All Band, Low Power 0.47
Single-Op, All Band, QRP 0.54
Single-Op Unlimited, High Power 0.62
Single-Op Unlimited, Low Power 0.72
Single-Op, Single Band, 10 Meters 0.48
Single-Op, Single Band, 15 Meters 0.55
Single-Op, Single Band, 20 Meters 0.45
Single-Op, Single Band, 40 Meters 0.25
Single-Op, Single Band, 80 Meters 0.18
Single-Op, Single Band, 160 Meters 0.17
Multi-op, Single Transmitter, High Power 0.64
Multi-op, Single Transmitter, Low Power 0.43
Multi-op, Two Transmitter 0.75
Multi-op, Multi-Transmitter 0.51

DX Category         Competitive Index
Single-Op, All Band, High Power 0.55
Single-Op, All Band, Low Power 0.49
Single-Op, All Band, QRP 0.27
Single-Op Unlimited, High Power 0.35
Single-Op Unlimited, Low Power 0.52
Single-Op, Single Band, 10 Meters 0.54
Single-Op, Single Band, 15 Meters 0.81
Single-Op, Single Band, 20 Meters 0.57
Single-Op, Single Band, 40 Meters 0.45
Single-Op, Single Band, 80 Meters 0.36
Single-Op, Single Band, 160 Meters 0.15
Multi-op, Single Transmitter, High Power 0.71
Multi-op, Single Transmitter, Low Power 0.33
Multi-op, Two Transmitter 0.43
Multi-op, Multi-Transmitter 0.43

For both W/VE and DX, the SOHP was more tightly packed than for SOLP.  I
don't have figures for all of the contests historically but this is
generally descriptive of what I see in most contests - more intense
competition in the Top Ten for HP categories.

I am not claiming this particular metric to be the perfect assessment of
competitiveness - feel free to suggest and publish alternatives.  It would
be a useful discussion and might lead to an acceptable weighting factor in
the long term.

As to being limited to LP by one's circumstances...well...this gets to
non-operating factors about going to the lengths necessary to secure a seat
at a big station, whether your own or someone else's.  Introducing factors
beyond final score and category is "fraught with peril" - I don't think we
should go there.

73, Ward N0AX